Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The six year old

I realized today that my six year old is smarter than I am. Not in everything, she can't run Quickbooks or anything. Come to think of it, she might could now that I think of it. I've just never let her try.

Anyway, back on topic here, she is learning quite a lot at school these days. I was talking to her yesterday and she says out of the blue, "Hey mom, did you know we conjugate Latin in opening exercises? Amo Amas Aman Amamos Amantis Amant. At least I think that's what she said, I don't actually know Latin. She then proceeded to conjugate 4 or 5 other verbs and ended saying "we say more but I can't remember them right now."

I'm thinking: 'Is she kidding? I don't even remember the ones she just conjugated 5 seconds ago.'
But of course I say, "That's great honey. Keep practicing."

It's not just Latin.

She dissected an english sentence the other day. Now, english just may have been my weakest subject in school, but she's 6 people. Can she really know more than me in this subject too?

Oh Yes. The answer is resoundingly Yes.

The Sentence: The small puppy ran fast in the sun.

The breakdown. From the 6 uear old.

"The small puppy ran fast in the sun.
Who or What ran fast? The puppy. Subject noun SN.
The puppy did what? Ran. Verb V.
How did the puppy run? Fast. Adverb. AV.
What describes the puppy? Small. Adjective. ADJ.
Where did the puppy run? In the sun. In. Preposition prep. Sun. Object of the Preposition. OP.
The. Article Adjective. A.
The small puppy ran fast in the sun. Declaritive. Period.

At least I think that is what she said. Do you know what's really sad? I had to use her homework to re-create this blog post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? I thought we all could dissect a first grade sentence. LD