Saturday, October 27, 2007

October 26th Newsflash : 2 year old goes drinking at at local Restaurant

Ok, before you judge me, read the story. It's actually hilarious since no harm was done.

I think Jason and I both had an out-of-reality experience last night. We had been out shopping for, among other things, metal cookie cutters (do they make these, people? Couldn't fine a one. Maybe they are a myth.) We got done around 9pm, and Jason goes:

"Hey, let's go to the restaurant for a drink and appetizers."

Keep in mind we have a 5 and a 2 year old whose regular bedtime is 8:30pm. My response:

"Sure."

The temporary insanity has set in already. A) we have no money. B) we have two children nearing the expiration point. C) Re-read A and B. It's enough.

SO we get to the restaurant, and we decide to order Shirley Temples for the girls, rationizing that it will keep them occupied while we try to eat something. For those of you who don't know, Shirley Temples are Sprite and some sort of red flavoring. This is a real treat, especially for Brooke, cause I think she has had pop about 2 times in her life ("It's Spicy," she says)

I decide to get a mommy drink: A Wild Night Out. Tequila, cranberry juice and various other flavorings and alcohol. It was great, and I didn't mind that it was a strong drink because I actually like the taste of Tequila. Brooke, it seems, does not. You'll understand in a minute.

So, at some point, Brooke decides to sit on my lap. My drink is now sitting in front of her. In her defense, it was the same color as hers, and in a similar glass. It didn't have the carbonation bubbles, but you know, she's two, not Einstein.

She grabs for the glass and all I see is Jason mounthing "NO" and grabbing it from her. She literally had it for less than a second. At first I thought he got it in time, but no, her face crumbled and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"Mommy, my drink tastes yucky." She sobbed. I comforted. I'm actually glad she hated it. Maybe that will last til she's like 25.

I'm also glad Jason was on the ball. I obviously had too much of our "wild night out" to notice the tiny little thing of our 2 year old drinking tequila. We actually didn't even leave the restaurant until 11pm. We were all expired by that point.

Today I said to Jason "Last night we were 'those people'."

"What people?" he asked.

I said: "The people we used to judge when we were out on a date at 11pm and our children were home asleep with a babysitter. You remember, we would say 'why in the world are those children not in bed?' Last night, were were those people."

Everything comes full circle folks, everything comes full circle.

No comments: