Friday, July 6, 2007

Dade County

If you are not familliar with the infamous Dade County, Georgia, let me clue you in. This is the county that was actually succeeded from the United States until like 1948. No joke. It was the Independent state of Dade until 60 years ago. Let me tell you, it is so backwards here that I am not at all surprised.

Back when Jason and I were getting married we had a few funny instances. First of all, they require a blood test, and yet legally you can be first cousins and still get married. Can that be more ironic?

Anyway, in this story we went to get our marriage license. Jason didn't have his social security card. He had about 16 other forms of identification, including a US passport. A US Passort which, I will remind you, is valid in any country in the world. Apparently not in the Independent State of Dade. They would not accept his passport as a valid form of identification.

So to get our marriage license, we had to drive up to Covenant College and get a copy of his transcript. A COPY. Not a notorized copy, just a plain old piece of paper that could have been typed up on my computer in about 5 minutes.

Copy of paper or US Passport. You choose.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Good Ole' Dade County. It was easier for you to get your marriage license than it was for me to get my drivers license in Dade County. That explains alot.